The core of the Villa was already documented in the '700's as belonging to the Pamphilj family. It then passed to the Colonna family who in 1797 sold it to Giovanni Torlonia, a wealthy man of French origins who established himself in Rome around the middle of the century and was the architect of an incredible economic and social ascent that made him a central figure in the aristocratic circles. Giovanni Torlonia provided his family with residences in keeping with its new status: the palace of Piazza Venezia and the Villa on Via Nomentana.
Casina delle Cevette
The Museurn of the Casina delle Civette was opened to the public in 1997. The building dates back to 1840 when Giuseppe Jappelli, a well-known Venetian architect and landscape designer drew up the plans for the Swiss lodge, giving it a rustic look, built with rough, exposed blocks of stones and wooden beams to imitate a mountain lodge or solitary "hut".
The Coliseum, or Colosseum, originally called the Amphitheatrum Flavium, is surley the largest and undoubtably the most famous ancient monument in Rome. Measuring 189 meters long and 156 meters wide with a height of 47 meters this three storied arcade is surrmounted with a fourth story pierced with window like openings.
The Roman emperor Vespasian, who ruled Rome from ad 69 to 79, began construction of the city's Colosseum on the site of the stagnum or artificial lake of Nero's Domus Aurea, almost as if he wished to restore to the Roman people what Nero had stolen from them when he expanded his enormous dwelling, construction continued by his son, the Roman emperor Titus, who deicated it in A.D. 80 and was completed by Vespasian's younger son, Domitian, who succeeded Titus as emperor in 81.
"La Sapieza" University
In the accademic year of 2001 / 2002, there were roughly 139,000 students enrolled. Teaching Staff include 4,900; full time and assiciates 2,700 and researchers 2,200. Technical and administraive personnel total to 6,000.
Buildings owned or with consent to perpetual public use total to over 90 in which 38 enter in the Universtiy city with the remaining distributed throughout Rome. To these are also added buildings in lease. In the new metropolitan seats which includes Latina, Reiti and Civitavecchia, new spaces are rapidly being acquired.
The Universtiy City, today, occupies an area of roughly 439,000 square meters.
Piazza di Spagna and its world famous steps date back to the end of the 1500 's with the church of Trinità dei Monti, found at the top the steps. The French church has a remarkable twin bell tower which is one of the symbols that distinguishes the square. The Spanish embassy was later added to the square, and the stairway finally finished the plan in 1725.
The 138 steps were designed by Francesco De Sanctis with the objective of connecting the Spanish Embassy, at the bottom, to the Holy See, easily reached once having arrived to the top of the steps.